“It is with great disappointment that we have to tell you that as of last hour we have cancelled next week’s Film Fest Twain Harte.
Due to the extreme danger, unpredictability and poor air quality as result of the “Rim Fire” affecting Twain Harte and the surrounding communities, Film Fest Twain Harte 2013 is being cancelled for Labor Day weekend. Potential rescheduling announcements to follow.
This is a Priority One Fire in California and the western states. It has burned 105,000 acres and there is currently zero percent containment.
Surrounding communities have been issued an evacuation advisory. Many hospitality establishments and restaurants are closing and as I write, our Film Festival founders and multiple board members are in the process of packing their home and evacuating Twain Harte to seek refuge in the SF Bay Area.
The Rim Fire here has been growing every day, our neighboring communities are directly affected and the air quality is such that we cannot assure clean/breathable air next weekend. In fact, we’ve been told by our Fire Chief that smoke could be a factor for the coming weeks. It’s very heavy and there have been Air Quality Warnings issued daily in our area.
To get an idea of what the smoke and fire damage that Rim Fire is creating, please view this Youtubevideo which demonstrates the severity:
Please, for your own knowledge, or in any announcement that you make know that tickets will be 100% refunded.
Again, we are very sorry to make this announcement. However, we felt that the safety of our attendees – celebrities, filmmakers and ticket holders is our top priority and thus the reason to make this hard decision. A few of our board members wanted to wait until next week to hold onto optimism that the fire and aftermath could clear enough to host a revised version of the festival, however when we were forced to realize that we have many filmmakers and attendees traveling from abroad we knew that we owed it to them to cancel as soon as possible to respect the changes they will need to make to their itineraries.
IMPORTANTLY, over the next week our festival board of directors will be making a decision regarding a re-scheduling of the film festival and/or possible integration with another local film festival so that the work of our contributing artists can be showcased in an environment worthy of excellence.”